Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Layne Twins' NICU Grad Session in Navasota, TX

Please enjoy Preemie Prints' families inspirational story & photos. Consider supporting our mission to share hope with families who have a baby born prematurely or critically ill. We thank our supporters, Preemie Prints volunteers, and donors for allowing us to continue touching the lives of NICU, preemie, and angel families.



We pray these special memories from Preemie Prints 
will help families heal and remember how strong 
they were in overcoming their NICU journey together.


A NICU STORY | THOUGHTS FROM MOM

"After 2 weeks of in-hospital bed rest experience, I had a set of twins at 32 weeks 5 days on 2/21/14. Andrew Lowell was born 2/21/14 at 7:21pm by emergency c-section. He weighed 4 lbs 3 oz. His sister, Madison Louise, was delivered at 7:22, weighing 3 lbs 15 oz.
My twin pregnancy was pretty uneventful up until my regular check-up at my 28 week appointment. I learned at this appointment that my cervix was shortening and I was dilated to 1cm. Of course, bed rest was ordered at home. My next check-up was the following week. I had dilated to 3cm and was 50% effaced. I was sent to labor and delivery. The doctors decided to give me the steroid shots to mature the babies lungs, in the event I went into labor. I was released back to home bed rest. The following weekly visit proved to be more eventful. I was now at 5cm and 60% effaced, so back to L&D I went. This time I didn't get to go home. I spent 2 weeks on hospital bed rest to keep these babies in as long as possible. I was admitted at 30 weeks 5 days. The neonatologist and NICU staff visited me often to tell me what I should expect if the babies were born at any given time. I was always so well informed and knew they would be well taken care of when they decided to make an entrance. That day came on 2/21/14. At 32 weeks 5 days gestation, Andrew and Madison decided to make their appearance. They were so small. Andrew was 4 lbs 3 oz and Madison was 3 lbs 15 oz. The babies were whisked away to NICU where I would meet them again a day later. Although I had been explained and was prepared for a lengthy NICU stay, nothing prepared me for what I experienced over the next 48 days. There were ups and downs. Two-steps forward, one-step back. Each day brought something new. Some were new challenges, some triumphs. Andrew proved to be the champ (despite the whimpy white boy stigma). It seemed as though he was just trucking along to gain weight, regulate his temp, and learn to eat. Madison on the other hand required more medical intervention. She was intubated for a time and received 2 transfusions. It took her a full month to wean from oxygen assistance. Everyday I sat bedside listening to monitors and bells, checking temps, weighing diapers, and listening to the sounds of the NICU. Some would say it was too stressful to handle, and you could see the uneasiness of guests when alarms would sound. It became my life. I joked that I would need to record the sounds of the NICU to take home so the babies would sleep. That was no joke, they came home and I noticed they would sleep better with noise and one bouncers songs that were pitched and toned like the alarms in NICU.
48 days after my babies were born I brought them home. I actually miss the NICU staff, as they became my family and surrogate parents to the twins. I trusted each and every one of them with my precious children's lives. They were the other moms and dads to my babies. Nobody can truly prepare for the emotional part of being a NICU parent. It takes a physical and emotional toll. However, the NICU family will forever be close to my heart."
Preemie Prints Volunteer Photographer:
Ashley Siegert, Fig-Mint Photography - Navasota, TX



 




Photos belong to our volunteer photographers, families, 
and organization please do not use for any purpose. 
____________________________________________

Preemie Prints is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization sharing hope with NICU families through a variety of support programs. One of those programs is the gift of NICU photography and preemie photography. NICU families from across the US can request a no-charge photography session by a Preemie Prints volunteer. The family request from can be found on the right side of our website. These sessions are free of charge and for any NICU family, regardless of time spent in the NICU. The NICU photo shoot can take place inside the NICU or after baby is discharged and at home until their 1st birthday. Facing time in a NICU with a premature or critically ill baby is an extremely difficult time for families. Preemie Prints has a mission to share hope by letting families know they are not alone. Preemie Prints currently has over 100 volunteers nationwide. We are always looking for more volunteers to share in our mission! If you are interested, please email sherri@preemieprints.org and visit our website at www.preemieprints.org. To date Preemie Prints and our volunteers have gifted over 400 NICU family sessions. 

This was a Preemie Prints NICU graduate photography session that took place near Navasota, TX.
We're thankful to the family for sharing their story & memories in support of other NICU families.

1 comment:

  1. 'what a good memory,but I know it was so scary.They were so tiny,and we couldn't even hold them.Seeing them now,you'd never know the trials they went through.Love them so much!!

    ReplyDelete