Friday, October 16, 2015

Henry's NICU Grad Photo Shoot

Please enjoy Preemie Prints' families’ inspirational story & photos. 
Consider supporting our mission to share hope with families who have a baby born prematurely or critically ill. We thank our supporters, Preemie Prints volunteers, and donors for allowing us to continue touching the lives of NICU, preemie, and angel families.

We pray these special memories from Preemie Prints 
will help families heal and remember how strong 
they were in overcoming their NICU journey together.

"Our little boy, Henry (I call him Hanky!), was born weighing 5 pounds, 11 1/2 ounces. He was a 34-weeker who was very comfortable in the womb and was only forced to come out due to me developing pre-eclampsia/HELLP.

He came into the world screaming, and my only complaint about his delivery is that I didn't get to snuggle him right away because he had to be taken to the NICU, and I couldn't see him for 24 hours afterward because of medication I was on. Longest and hardest 24 hours of my life!

Henry was whisked away to the NICU immediately following birth. In all, he spent 3 weeks in the NICU. He had Respiratory Distress Syndrome, so he was on CPAP and oxygen for a good portion of that time. He had a feeding tube for longer than expected because he didn't tolerate bottle feeding well in the beginning. He was jaundiced, so he had to be under the lights for a few days. He had to have a UVC placed to get nutrients in. And one day, it all just clicked for him. The nurses told us that preemies have their "light bulb moments" and it's what we held onto when frustrations set in at what seemed to be Henry's lack of progress.

We were originally told he would probably have to spend approximately 2 weeks in the NICU, so when those 2 weeks were up and it didn't look like he was going home, it was very disconcerting. He had a spontaneous spell, and that was an automatic 5 more days added onto his stay. But, then he started having his light bulb moments that his nurses told us would come. One day he couldn't finish a bottle to save his life. The next, he sucked them all down in record time and never looked back. It was amazing.

I was discharged from the hospital 5 days after delivery, so my husband and I made trips back and forth from home to the NICU 2-3 times a day for a couple of hours at a time. I was on a strict pumping schedule, and had to get my kangaroo care time in. I put 1400 miles on my car in those 3 weeks! It was exhausting, and everything was planned around NICU visits. And every time we left was hard, because we had to leave Henry behind every time.

The NICU is a scary place with bells and alarms going off everywhere. We learned what they meant very quickly and knew when other babies were experiencing various difficulties. But it was also so incredible to get there and discover something that showed Henry was progressing. You celebrate the smallest things. I'd never been so excited to hear someone tolerated 2 mL of food until Henry did it without complication. You know how little 2 mL is? And yet, to our little guy, it was everything that day.

Henry came home after several attempts (and fails) at the car seat test. Again, it was so frustrating to know he was doing so well and was ready to come home, and he couldn't sit in his car seat for 90 minutes without desating, even though we only lived 20 minutes away. But again, we just had to wait for his light bulb moment. All in all, he was born on 9/12 and we brought him home exactly 3 weeks later, on 10/3.”

A Note From Beth:
“One of the sweetest families ever and Henry is absolutely a handsome little guy!  He seriously has the longest eyelashes I've seen on a baby!
Henry was born at only 34 weeks.  He spent 3 weeks in the NICU for Respiratory Distress Syndrome and was on CPAP and oxygen.  He also had a feeding tube and was jaundice.  He finally broke out of the NICU on 10/3.
I can tell you that he is their pride and joy.  The love this little family has is amazing.”

Photos belong to our volunteer photographers, families, 
and organization please do not use for any purpose. 

Preemie Prints is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization sharing hope with NICU families through a variety of support programs. One of those programs is the gift of NICU photography and preemie photography. NICU families from across the US can request a no-charge photography session by a Preemie Prints volunteer. The family request from can be found on the right side of our website. These sessions are free of charge and for any NICU family, regardless of time spent in the NICU. The NICU photo shoot can take place inside the NICU or after baby is discharged and at home until their 1st birthday. Facing time in a NICU with a premature or critically ill baby is an extremely difficult time for families. Preemie Prints has a mission to share hope by letting families know they are not alone. Preemie Prints currently has over 100 volunteers nationwide. We are always looking for more volunteers to share in our mission! If you are interested, please email and visit our website at To date Preemie Prints and our volunteers have gifted over 400 NICU family sessions. 

This was a Preemie Prints NICU graduate photography session that took place near Dublin OH.

We're thankful to the family for sharing their story & memories in support of other NICU families.

No comments:

Post a Comment