Thursday, May 8, 2014

Meet Maddox - A Preemie Prints NICU Grad Photo Shoot

Please enjoy Preemie Prints' families inspirational story & photos. Consider supporting our mission to share hope with families who have a baby born prematurely or critically ill. Preemie Prints support programs include NICU photography and NICU graduate photography (the gift of photography at no charge for a NICU family), the gift of handmade items, group events and meetings, information, and prayer support. Our mission is to connect parents and let them know they are not alone. We thank our supporters, Preemie Prints volunteers, and donors for allowing us to continue touching the lives of NICU, preemie, and angel families.

We pray these special memories from Preemie Prints 
will help families remember how strong 
they were in overcoming their NICU journey together.

A NICU STORY | THOUGHTS FROM MOM
"Our little guy is Maddox, born Jan 4th at 33 weeks 2 days. He weighed 3 pounds 13 ounces and was 16.5 inches long. I developed severe pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome. I went to my 32 week appt and had regular lab work done. We were only home about an hour before we received the phone call that changed our lives forever. My body was beginning to fail and I had to get to the hospital ASAP. I spent 4 days on bed rest before my blood pressure skyrocketed and I had to be induced. After over 24 hours in labor, Maddox was born via c-section. He was whisked off to the NICU where he would spend the first 26 days of his life. I was in recovery where I hemorrhaged about 2 hours later. I was sent to the OR (operating room) again. I almost didn't make it. I wasn't able to meet Maddox for over 24 hours due to my unstable state. I'm so lucky that we are both here today.

Never in a million years would I have thought we would be parents to a preemie. Before this whole ordeal, my life seemed uncomplicated. I had a great career, a house, and wonderful husband. I was a very detailed perfectionist. I had a sense of being in control of everything. This experience has definitely changed who I am. I enjoy the little things in life, don't take people/things for granted and now believe I am one heck of a strong person. I have also learned that no matter what life hands you, you are so much stronger than you think you are. 

Maddox was born perfect, just very tiny. His lungs were a bit underdeveloped even though I received the steroid shots while pregnant. He spent a few days on CPAP and aside from his apnea/brachyadia episodes, we had a fairly good NICU stay. It just took him a while to learn how to suck/swallow/breath while he ate. The hardest thing that no parent should ever have to go through is asking permission to hold your child and being told no. That was the first time I actually felt my heart break. To not be able to hold something that you were forced to have ripped from your body is very difficult. I spent countless hours crying, journaling and praying while I sat next to the tiniest human I have ever seen in real life. 

You're not the only one who has gone through this journey. There are so many support groups/people to help people get through this trying time in life. See out help if you need it. My favorite thing that helped me was writing in my journal. If I was able to get my feelings out ofmy head and onto paper, it helped me heal. It was my therapy and still it. My favorite quote that help me: 


"And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about" -Haruki Murakami

Preemie Prints Volunteer Photographer:
Shannon Amberg - Tomah, WI

A note from Shannon:

"Meeting the Fawcett Family and photographing Maddox was such a pleasure. Hearing Maddox’s story and about his mother’s experience giving birth to a preemie was humbling and very special. I have no doubt this family has some guardian angels watching over them. Maddox did fantastic too, spending some time wide awake and babbling, chowing down on a bottle, and then snuggling in for a sweet wee nap. I felt fortunate to be able to get photos of all of it! It was my sincere honor to come into this family’s home and capture some sweet moments for them. I can only hope they enjoy the images as much as I enjoyed the experience of serving them. xo"













These images belong to our volunteer photographers, families, and organization please do not use for any purpose. 

Preemie Prints is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization sharing hope with NICU families through a variety of support programs. One of those programs is the gift of NICU photography and preemie photography. NICU families from across the US can request a no-charge photography session by a Preemie Prints volunteer. The family request from can be found on the right side of our website. These sessions are free of charge and for any NICU family, regardless of time spent in the NICU. The NICU photo shoot can take place inside the NICU or after baby is discharged and at home until their 1st birthday. Facing time in a NICU with a premature or critically ill baby is an extremely difficult time for families. Preemie Prints has a mission to share hope by letting families know they are not alone. Preemie Prints currently has over 75 volunteers nationwide. We are always looking for more volunteers to share in our mission! If you are interested, please email sherri@preemieprints.org and visit our website at www.preemieprints.org. To date Preemie Prints and our volunteers have gifted over 375 NICU family sessions. 

This was a Preemie Prints NICU graduate baby photo shoot that took place near Tomah Wisconsin. 
We're thankful to the family for sharing their memories with our NICU community. 


No comments:

Post a Comment