Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Untouchable Mother Sculpture Series By The Midnight Orange

There are many memorabilia type items for parents of premature babies and for parents who have experienced an infant loss, angel parents as we call them. We are always searching for information to share with Preemie Prints and the NICU community of families. The other night I was researching online and stumbled upon probably one of the most beautiful memory items for mothers of NICU babies that I have seen to date. It is called "The Untouchable Mother" and it's a sculpture of a mother sitting by an isolette peering in, longing for, her tiny premature baby. The emotion, the vivid memories, the pain, and the joy of my time in the NICU came rushing back when I saw the sculpture. Tears came and I was moved. That is what the purpose of art is and D. Antonia Truesdale of The Midnight Orange beautifully captures the essence of a NICU mom in her artwork.

I reached out to the artist, because I really wanted to share the work with you - our Preemie Prints community. After we visited, she decided to work on expanding her line to include a series of sculptures, not only for NICU moms, but for the whole family. Through Preemie Prints and this blog post she is reintroducing her beautiful series to you. She shared a few words with us about why she sculpts for parents of premature babies, NICU families, and angel families. Here is what she had to say:

"I have had the extreme privilege of working with parents on all walks of life, and one group I've been really touched by is families of premature babies. To see photos of their little ones so close yet out of reach plays a bittersweet lullaby on the heartstrings. This sculpture series was inspired by the desperate longings preemie parents have shared with me, and I am very happy to be able to reintroduce this into my collection of available sculptures.

This specific design is not only customizable to your family portrait, but once you have it home with you you are able to customize it further by adding your own special keepsakes to the bottom display case. The bottom comes empty with a mirrored base and then you can add in any tiny mementos, as you'll see in some examples in the photos. I think it would be perfect for a little hospital bracelet, perhaps flowers from a baby bouquet or even a handwritten poem tied into a scroll. There are so many ways for this design to be personalized and I am just completely touched and humbled to have my artwork be a part of your preemie's mighty journey."

Now we will share the beautiful pictures of her new sculpture series and include information at the bottom of the post on how you can contact The Midnight Orange and place orders.




To ask questions and view all of her work 

The Untouchable Mother sculpture 
The Untouchable Mother & Father
The Untouchable Mother of Twins 
The Untouchable Mother & Father of Twins
The Untouchable Family


2 comments: