Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Miss Harper's Preemie Prints NICU Photo Shoot

Please enjoy Preemie Prints' families inspirational photos and consider supporting our mission to share hope with families who have a baby born prematurely or critically ill. 

We pray these special memories will help families remember how strong 
they were in overcoming their NICU journey together.

NICU STORY | THOUGHTS FROM MOM

"I found out I was pregnant on August 21st. October 10th, I found out I was going to have twins and was 11 weeks. October 14th I went to the ER, becuase I had excessive bleeding, turns out everything was fine, and I was put on bed rest for two weeks. November 4th I found out I was blessed with a little boy and girl. A few weeks later I was admitted to the hospital. I had to have my cervix sewn up because I was 100% effaced. I was then on bed rest until December 20th when they admitted me to the hospital once again. I was dilated to 3cm. I am from Tyler, TX and was there until December 24th when they life flighted me to Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, TX. 

On December 26th I had my precious baby boy, Brody Dene. He was 23 weeks 1 day, weighed 1 lb 3 ozs and was 11.5 inches long. He was born naturally. My little girl Harper Lee was still nice and cozy in my tummy, bouncing off the walls because she had all kinds of room now. Brody then passed away 3 days later on the 29th due to several issues. I never got to hold him or really see him until he passed away. I didn't want to let him go, but I knew I had to stay strong for my baby girl. On January 1st I had Miss Harper. She was 24 weeks, weighed 1 lb 5 ozs, and was 11.5 inches long. She was born by emergency C-Section.

Harper was born very premature and has been through a lot. She had gotten a bacterial infection - which I am not going to even begin to try to spell. It was pretty serious, she got really sick, and they had to put her on a bigger vent with very high settings. She was on three different blood pressure medications and insulin. Shis is now off of all that and is on a bubble CPaP - meaning she is pretty much breathing on her own. She also has stage 4 IVH on both sides of her brain. She is 30 weeks now, and they are monitoring her head growth. If it continues, they will send her to a different hospital and will have to put a reservoir in her head to drain the fluid off. If it does not start draining by itself, then later on they will go in and put in a shunt. We are hopeful that everything will turn out just fine and we won't have to go through all of that. God has a plan and he is in charge. We have to give it all to him and have faith."




Preemie Prints Volunteer Photographer:
Minvi Duncan - Dallas, TX

A note from Minvi:

"It was such a pleasure to meet Berlynn and Baby Harper last Friday. As a first time volunteer for Preemie Prints, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect when I got up to the NICU floor of Baylor Medical Center in Dallas. The nursing staff was kind enough to show me exactly where they were. Once inside, Berlynn came to meet me and led me in to see Harper Lee.
Harper Lee, all of 6+ lbs. was sound asleep the first few minutes I was there. Although she has gained weight since she was first born, she still looked so delicate. Dressed beautifully in a pink outfit complete with a matching pink bow of curly ribbons and feathers., she is such a little angel -- all beautiful and quietly content.
As we got ready for the shoot, Berlynn picked up Harper Lee and held her lovingly in her arms.You can tell right away the strong bond between them. Harper Lee was quiet throughout the shoot until about the time I was getting ready to pack. Then her eyes opened, and I just had to take some more pictures. before leaving. She didn't seem to mind the extra attention.
Thank you Berlynn for the opportunity to meet you and Harper Lee. I pray for the day that she finally gets released from the hospital so you two can be together peacefully back at home. You are a brave person and one day, in time, Harper Lee will know all that."












Preemie Prints support programs include NICU photography, preemie photography, and NICU graduate photography. Through this program we give the gift of photography at no charge for a NICU family. Other Preemie Prints support programs include the gift of handmade items, the gift of angel gifts for parent experiencing a loss, group events and meetings, information, and email support. Our mission is to support parents and let them know they are not alone. We thank our supporters, Preemie Prints volunteers, and donors for allowing us to continue touching the lives of NICU, preemie, and angel families. 

Preemie Prints is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization sharing hope with NICU families through a variety of support programs. One of those programs is the gift of NICU photography and preemie photography. NICU families from across the US can request a no-charge photography session by a Preemie Prints volunteer. The family request from can be found on the right side of our website. These sessions are free of charge and for any NICU family, regardless of time spent in the NICU. The NICU photo shoot can take place inside the NICU or after baby is discharged and at home until their 1st birthday. Facing time in a NICU with a premature or critically ill baby is an extremely difficult time for families. Preemie Prints has a mission to share hope by letting families know they are not alone. Preemie Prints currently has over 75 volunteers nationwide. We are always looking for more volunteers to share in our mission! If you are interested, please email sherri@preemieprints.org and visit our website at www.preemieprints.org. To date Preemie Prints and our volunteers have gifted over 375 NICU family sessions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment