Monday, May 1, 2017

Harper's Preemie Prints NICU Photo Session

Please enjoy Preemie Prints' families’ inspirational story & photos. 
Consider supporting our mission to share hope with families who have a baby born prematurely or critically ill. We thank our supporters, Preemie Prints volunteers, and donors for allowing us to continue touching the lives of NICU, preemie, and angel families.

We pray these special memories from Preemie Prints 
will help families heal and remember how strong 
they were in overcoming their NICU journey together.

“It all started when we found out we were going to have a little girl. We had big plans that day. But it all fell apart very quickly.  We were living in Asheville North Carolina. They told us that she had all these conditions that wouldn't let her survive but a month at most.  Made us sign abortion papers. Which we had no intent on doing so.  We decide to have other test ran.  It came back that she had a condition called BWS -  it's an over or undergrowth disorder. She also has an omphalocele. We knew that we had a long road ahead. We met with surgeons and doctors and did all the research we could. We were told that we would spend at least 5-6 months in the NICU.  So we had decided to look for a house in Farewell, VA to bring her home to when she was able.  We ended up getting my Great Grandmother’s farm house. The plan was for us to get a bit settled and do some remodeling and for me to deliver in Asheville.  We had unpacked and remodeled our bedroom and were about to start doing the nursery.  I slept in our new room for a night.  Then the next night I'd went to bed not feeling so good.  I woke up not even 2 hours later cramping and hurting.  I’d walk it off and try to lay back down.  It started to get worse as the hours passed so I called my doctor back in Asheville. They told me to rest drink water take some Tylenol and take a shower. If that didn't work to go to the hospital.  So I did as I was told and was looking for the closest hospital that could deliver if need be. But I thought I was just having Braxton Hicks. After my shower I could hardly walk.  So we headed to Bluefield West Virginia ( the closest hospital to deliver) 45 minutes away. By the time we got there I could tell something wasn't right.  What I thought was Braxton Hicks was actually contractions and they were 2 minutes apart.  I kept telling the lady at the we desk something wasn't right I needed to be seen that I was high risk.  But she didn't push it too much. I sat in the waiting room for 45 minutes. By the time I was wheeled up stairs and trying to explain what was going on they were one minute apart. When the doctor came in to see me they hooked my belly on the monitors and she checked to see if I was dilated. And I was 8 cm. I was hysterical. I was going to plan my C-section is Asheville in 2 days. But Harper had a different idea. Everything went crazy. Harper's dad was trying to coach the docs because they hadn't seen anything like this before. And I was trying to answer all the questions the 30 people around me had. They finally got a C-section time there and Harper came at 1pm. She then had to be rushed to Roanoke memorial with her dad.  I could not go and only got to see her for maybe 5 minutes before they had left. I finally got to meet our little princess the next night. I felt as if it was all a nightmare with everything that was going on. All I could think about was her getting better and coming home.  I had my doubts and lots of tears.  But as the time continues to go I realize this is where she needs to be to get better and come home to us. It has been a long journey so far. But we have to keep faith and continue to keep it together. I know it's one of the hardest things to do. And I have a greater respect for the people and parents that go through this all. It makes us stronger. And at the end of the day when you get to walk out those doors it will be the greatest feeling in the world. And that's what keeps me going. I can't wait for that day!”

Harper’s photo session was taken and donated by Preemie Prints volunteer photographer, Ashley Parker.

A Note From Ashley:
"Ashley & Gordon were the sweetest couple and I had such a wonderful time working with them. Its obvious how much they absolutely love and adore their precious baby girl. Baby Harper was precious and full of smiles for me! I am so thankful for Preemie Prints and the opportunity to meet this family!"

Photos belong to our volunteer photographers, families, 
and organization please do not use for any purpose. 

Preemie Prints is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization sharing hope with NICU families through a variety of support programs. One of those programs is the gift of NICU photography and preemie photography. NICU families from across the US can request a no-charge photography session by a Preemie Prints volunteer. The family request from can be found on the right side of our website. These sessions are free of charge and for any NICU family, regardless of time spent in the NICU. The NICU photo shoot can take place inside the NICU or after baby is discharged and at home until their 1st birthday. Facing time in a NICU with a premature or critically ill baby is an extremely difficult time for families. Preemie Prints has a mission to share hope by letting families know they are not alone. Preemie Prints currently has over 100 volunteers nationwide. We are always looking for more volunteers to share in our mission! If you are interested, please email and visit our website at To date Preemie Prints and our volunteers have gifted over 400 NICU family sessions. 

This was a Preemie Prints NICU photography session that took place near Roanoke, VA.

We're thankful to the family for sharing their story & memories in support of other NICU families.

No comments:

Post a Comment