Thursday, November 19, 2015

Jasmine's NICU Grad Photo Shoot

Please enjoy Preemie Prints' families’ inspirational story & photos. 
Consider supporting our mission to share hope with families who have a baby born prematurely or critically ill. We thank our supporters, Preemie Prints volunteers, and donors for allowing us to continue touching the lives of NICU, preemie, and angel families.


We pray these special memories from Preemie Prints 
will help families heal and remember how strong 
they were in overcoming their NICU journey together.

A NICU STORY | THOUGHTS FROM MOM
“Jasmine Grace made a surprise entrance into this world at 26 weeks, 3 days gestation. She was 2lb, 5 oz. and 15 inches.

On a normal routine doctor's appointment for my glucose tolerance test, I made a vague complaint of back pain and unease to my doctor. She decided to do an ultrasound and after a quick check realized I was already dilating. I immediately was transferred to Texas Children's Hospital Women's Pavilion where they attempted to stop my labor. After 3 days of magnesium drips and steroid shots, Jasmine graced us with her presence.

What was supposed to be a time of excitement and joy was one of the hardest things my husband and I had to face in our lives. I was in utter denial up until the time I was literally pushing her out of my body. I held my breath until I finally heard her cry. She was then immediately taken to the side by the neonatal response team. I met her for the first time outside of the glass of a transfer isolette where my husband left and followed her to her room. I didn't feel like a "mom." I was terrified and full of guilt. I cried for two weeks straight. Why wasn't I able to keep her safe in my body until term? I never actually found out why I went into preterm labor either. I felt like there was nothing I could do for her. I later found pumping breastmilk was something only I, her mother, could do for her.

We spent 83 long days in the NICU. I went to see my little girl every single day and held her skin-to-skin for 2-3 hours a day. When I got sick and couldn't hold her, my husband or her nurse made sure she got some cuddle time.

My husband and I included ourselves into her plan of care as much as possible. We learned so much from her neonatologists and nurses and couldn't thank them enough. In fact, 8 months later, I still keep in touch with a couple of her nurses and our favorite doctor who used to hold and sing to her.

If I could give advice to someone else in a similar situation it would be to not give up. Seek help, whether from your partner, family, church, therapist, or other preemie parents. You may not feel like a "mom" immediately, but I promise, in time, you will. Get involved in her/his care. Do kangaroo care/ skin-to-skin daily. You are your baby's constant presence in their life and they know you are there. Be careful not to "google" every condition your child is tested or monitored for. Listen to your nurses and doctors and assign primary nurses if you are able to. Be their advocate. And don't be afraid to seek professional help. Zoloft!! It's lactation safe too!!

I can't get over how much our little girl has grown and changed and how much I have fallen in love with her. Although her debut was not ideal, Jasmine is the best thing that has happened to me. The amazing and supportive husband comes in at a close second!!”



A Note From Mindy:
“Jasmine was born at just 26 weeks and 3 days gestation. She was a tiny 2lb, 5 ozs and 15 inches, and spent 83 days in the NICU, Jasmine is now a healthy, sweet, happy, almost 1-year old.  This family was so sweet and I was so happy to meet them and their beautiful Jasmine.  I love her smile!  I was so blessed to be able to meet them and have the opportunity to be a part of such a special time in their lives.”



Photos belong to our volunteer photographers, families, 
and organization please do not use for any purpose. 
____________________________________________

Preemie Prints is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization sharing hope with NICU families through a variety of support programs. One of those programs is the gift of NICU photography and preemie photography. NICU families from across the US can request a no-charge photography session by a Preemie Prints volunteer. The family request from can be found on the right side of our website. These sessions are free of charge and for any NICU family, regardless of time spent in the NICU. The NICU photo shoot can take place inside the NICU or after baby is discharged and at home until their 1st birthday. Facing time in a NICU with a premature or critically ill baby is an extremely difficult time for families. Preemie Prints has a mission to share hope by letting families know they are not alone. Preemie Prints currently has over 100 volunteers nationwide. We are always looking for more volunteers to share in our mission! If you are interested, please email sherri@preemieprints.org and visit our website at www.preemieprints.org. To date Preemie Prints and our volunteers have gifted over 400 NICU family sessions. 

This was a Preemie Prints NICU graduate photography session that took place near Pearland, TX.


We're thankful to the family for sharing their story & memories in support of other NICU families.

No comments:

Post a Comment